Applicants must satisfy the following criteria before applying:
- General criteria
- No age nor nationality criteria will be applied.
- Students from historically disadvantaged groups (including refugees) and those with disabilities are particularly encouraged to apply.
- Academic criteria
- Students must be registered as 2nd to 6th year MBChB student at SUN, UCT, Wits or UP.
- Social responsibility criteria
- Students who have demonstrated commitment to altruism – engaging themselves in charity work, community projects or academic mentorship- are particularly encouraged to apply.
Additionally, it will be expected from scholarship recipients to:
- Provide Spes Bona with regular reports including a certified copy of their mid-year and final academic results as well as a description of their experience.
- Commit to support future students through Spes Bona programs once graduated.
A selection committee, composed by Belgian and South African citizens with medical and non medical background, will evaluate applications through a standardized approach.
Scholarship recipients may benefit from other bursaries but full disclosure will be requested. The Spes Bona Initiative reserves the right to suspend scholarship if the eligibility criteria are no longer met or for any other reason that the selection committee would find rightful.
Applications are open from January the 30th to February the 20th 2023 (see dedicated page)
15/03/2023: Notification of selection